Baked Potatoes with Broccoli and "Cheese"




I don't remember if I mentioned that my hubby wants to do a vegan eating plan for 6 weeks. Yes, yes, he does. Now, we've done small bouts of it, and I often make vegan, vegetarian, raw dishes and desserts, but have never done this long of a time span. Oh, and gluten free too! Someone shoot me now! Haha. Just kidding.....kind of.

I do love trying new things and finding ways to make some of our favorite dishes a bit healthier, so really, I know I'll survive. I've posted several vegan, vegetarian and even raw recipes here on the blog.

A few nights ago I tried a new recipe that I just wasn't thrilled with. I purchased a new magazine called Fork over Knives at Costco and bookmarked several recipes to try. So the following night I wanted something a little more "safe". While the recipe was edible, I just wasn't thrilled with it.

I thought baked potatoes with steamed broccoli and a vegan cheese sauce would be good. If the cheese sauce failed, we at least had the potato and broccoli. I had no need to worry. The cheese sauce was a winner in my book.
(I kept it warm by placing it in a canning jar in a pot of water)

I spent some time online looking for recipes, but in the end made up my own using ingredients and tips from the different recipes I found. Several called for using potatoes as part of the base, but I was putting this on potatoes and didn't want a potato overload. The key I think is playing with flavors until you get what you want so adjust the seasonings as you see fit.

No-Cheese "Cheese" Sauce

A wonderful alternative to traditional cheese sauce.

ingredients:

1 Carrot, chunked
1 1/2 c. raw cashews
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp. tumeric
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. paprika
2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
1 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 c. hot water

instructions:

Soak cashews in water for 30 minutes. Drain well.

Cook carrot in a small saucepan until tender.

In a high speed blender add carrots, cashews, seasonings and lemon juice. Turn on and begin to process.

Add hot water a little at a time until the sauce is the consistency you want. Add more or less according to your preference.

Taste as you go and adjust seasonings. Want it a bit "spicier"? Add some cayenne.


Created using The Recipes Generator




With Joy Unquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts