Summer Days....Driftin' Away...

I cannot believe it is almost August, that summer is on it's way out...the days are already getting shorter and I feel as though we haven't done anything "summer-ish"! School supplies have filled the shelves. We've enjoyed some beautiful weather and some wet, rainy days here in the PNW. One thing we have enjoyed is watermelon...yummy, sweet, juicy watermelon! 
We've enjoyed it sliced, cubed, blended, juiced and frozen. I have some sitting in the freezer now, ready to make a sorbet. YUM! Watermelon just screams SUMMER!!

Here's a refreshing drink that is kicked up just a notch with the beautiful flavor of basil. 
In a blender (I use a Vitamix), simply add fresh strawberries with cubed fresh watermelon (just eyeball amounts), add fresh basil leaves and blend well. I would start with 2 leaves and add additional leaves until you reach the flavor you like. Serve on the rocks. You could also add some lemon to this or freeze your fruit and make it more of a smoothie. You DO NOT need to add additional liquid as the watermelon has plenty on its own. 

Want an all natural popsicle? Simply cut your watermelon into easy to handle wedges, cut a slit in the rind and insert a popsicle stick. Freeze on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper then serve immediately or wrap in plastic wrap and store in freezer. 
I love refreshing flavors of summer. I have yet to try grilling watermelon...not quite sure that sounds very appetizing, but I may be surprised. 

As summer winds down I plan to take advantage of some more summer recipes and hopefully we'll get out and do some fun, summery activities.



With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts