Recipe: Blackberry Apple Pie

A few weeks ago my dad told me of a pie he had made. It was Blackberry-Apple. I had never heard of this combo but thought it sounded so good. A few days later I had my girls go out and pick some blackberries..they were so prolific everywhere that it seemed ridiculous to even THINK about going and BUYING them. 
We were NOT disappointed with this pie. It had awesome flavor and the combination of the sweet berries and the tart apples was perfect  I also did something else I rarely do, but found it worked amazingly. I used my stand mixer to make my pie crust. I have never been a pro at making pie crusts but this one turned out so awesome (it was the same recipe I always use, I just did it in my mixer) I will use this method all the time.

Ingredients:

Pie Crust:

3 c. flour
1 c. butter (cut into cubes)
1 Tbs. vinegar
1 beaten egg
1 tsp. salt
5 Tbs. cold water
Mix flour, butter and salt until crumbly. Add egg, vinegar and water. Add to flour mixture till combined. Divide dough in half and roll out to fit pie pan. 
**I have a similar recipe where everything is the same but the butter is increased to 1 1/2 c. 

Filling: 

4 c. peeled and chopped apples (granny smith are my fave)
2 c. fresh blackberries

1/4 . butter, melted
1 Tbs. Lemon juice

1 c. sugar
3 Tbs. Cornstarch
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 Tbs. half and half
2 Tbs. coarse sugar

In a large bowl combine apples blackberries and melted butter. In a separate bowl combine cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well, then stir in to apples and blackberry mixture.
 Place inside pastry and top with remaining crust, cut slits in top of crust. Brush with half and half (I used almond milk), and sprinkle with coarse sugar. 
 Bake at 375 for 55-65 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Cover edges with foil towards the end if needed to avoid overbrowning.
Cool on a wire rack.

With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Um, that sounds like pure heaven. Seriously. What a genius combo! I've only made pie crust once and it was years ago. I'll have to try the stand mixer route. Now to get my hands on some blackberries.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts