Recipe: Vegetarian tortilla Pie

Ha! I just realized that I have one other post waiting to be finished....I've had a hard time finding time to just sit and complete an entire post. 


I have tried a few new recipes over the last few weeks and months that I want to share. I am totally loving Pinterest and have found some great websites and blogs, ideas and recipes. 


This one I found at the blog Kohler Created. It is for a Vegetarian Tortilla Pie. Their (Neil and Jessica) blog is full of yummy sounding recipes and I'm so glad I found it. They write about food, fitness, their hobbies and probably anything in between. So please go visit them and show them some love!


We are not vegetarian, or vegan or really anything, other than a family who is on a journey of continually eating healthy. We do somewhat limit meat intake and so when I saw this, I thought it would be a perfect fit. What I really like is that it can be tailored to your own tastes. You could probably add meat to it if you really wanted to, the skies the limit.


So here you go!


Vegetarian Tortilla Pie: Printable Recipe
Ingredients: 


4 large tortillas
3 c. grated cheese of your choice..I just had med. cheddar, but a sharp or monterey might be more flavorful
1 c. rice, prepared according to instructions (I used brown rice)
1 can beans, cooked....(I used black beans and forgot to cook them..oops)
2 c. spinach chopped and coated lightly with salt and vinegar or a light Italian dressing (I used the dressing)
2 tomatoes chopped
onion, chopped
2 tbs. chili powder
chiles, pepper or jalepenos
chopped avocado
chopped cilantro
sour cream 
taco sauce


Instructions:


1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter or spray the bottom and sides of pan that is as close to the size of the tortillas as possible. In my case it was a springform pan.


2. Butter or spray the bottom of a tortilla and place in bottom of pan...(I skipped this part altogether). Top with cheese and then each filling ingredient (rice, beans, tomato, spinach, sprinkle of chili powder, chili's or peppers). Continue stacking tortilla's and filling (I used a total of 4 tortillas). Spray or butter the top tortilla, then cover with foil.
 3. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove foil and up the heat to 400. Cook for 15 minutes more or until top is browned and cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Cut into quarters. Serve with avocado, sour cream and taco sauce or salsa.
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts