Secret Recipe Club: Asparagus Quiche


I love cooking and when I saw the opportunity to be a part of The Secret Recipe Club I thought "how cool". I went through the process of subscribing and was very excited when I got my first assignment. What happens is, as a blogger, I was assigned a blog for the month of October. My "homework" was to find, make and blog about a recipe from that blog, then post it on the given date. Doesn't that sound fun? 


My assigned blog was The Culinary Enthusiast. I loved Kelley's blog the minute I started browsing. So many amazing recipes...like these pumpkin cinnamon rolls. Kelley's recipes are easy to follow and she includes lots of photos (a girl after my own heart). The recipe that caught my eye however was her recipe for Asparagus Quiche. I LOVE quiche, I LOVE asparagus, and I LOVE potatoes. Yep, I said potatoes...this quiche has potatoes in it!!! Oh, and it has leeks and I've never had leeks. I quickly decided this would be the recipe I tried for my SRC assignment. I couldn't wait for payday so I could go buy all the ingredients needed. 


I was not disappointed. It was everything I hoped it would be and I was so sad that my family of four ate it all and I wouldn't be able to enjoy leftovers the next morning...note to self.....Make this again soon!! My youngest of course doesn't like asparagus, but she still ate two pieces.


Thank you Kelley for sharing such an awesome recipe. She has a FB page too...I now "like" it!


Alright, on to the recipe...
Asparagus Quiche (printable recipe)(The Culinary Enthusiast)
Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbs. butter
  • 1 leek
  • (white and light green parts only), halved & thinly sliced, then well washed
  • coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/2 bunch asparagus (about 1/2 pound), tough ends removed, thinly sliced on the diagonal
  • 1 Yukon Gold Potato, thinly sliced
  • 4 slices bacon
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/4 c. half and half
  • nutmeg
  • pie crust for one crust pie
  • 1 c. shredded parmesan cheese

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 with rack in the lowest position.  
In a large skillet, cook bacon to desired crispness.  Set aside on a paper towel lined plate.  Crumble into pieces once cooled.   
Reserve bacon grease in pan and add potato slices, cook for a few minutes, browning on both sides.  
Add leek and asparagus; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until asparagus is crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes; let cool. 
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, 1/2 teaspoon salt, teaspoon pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. 
Place pie crust on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with cheese; layer potatoes and vegetable mixture, top with crumbled bacon. Pour egg mixture on top. 
Bake until center of quiche is just set, 50 to 60 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

I really didn't change much about this recipe. I felt like it was perfect the way it was. 


So, yep, this was definitely a keeper. Check out the rest of October's entries to the Secret Recipe Club














With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Hi! I just found you through the secret recipe club. Love your blog! I’m a new follower.

    We would love to invite you over to visit our blog and link up to our weekly themed blog hop called Everyday Sisters Sharing Sundays. This week’s theme is SWEET and SAVORY! We hope to see you there. http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com/2011/10/everyday-sisters-sharing-sunday-19.html

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dropping by from the SRC. I've never ate Quiche before, but this recipe sure makes me want to try it. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the SRC and your quiche looks delicious!


    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' & 'C' SRC recipes this month: Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies and Thin Mint Irish Coffee.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from Group C but I'm an honorary Group D member this week, welcome to SRC. Asparagus is the most beautiful vegetable ever! I adore quiche also, what a great combo. Love the screen shot...we seem to keep the same tabs open,hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love quiche. we make it so often. such a great food for any time of the day. gotta love quiche w bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed the quiche Kirstin! It's a fav in our house too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this looks absolutely delicious, what a great choice for SRC! Love your blog, so glad to be a new follower! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definitely printing this one. I am a big fan of quiche. Usually make a spinach or broccoli one. Asparagus would be a great filling!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts