Recipe: Summer Bean Salad



I seem to be on a salad kick these last few weeks. But why not! Summer is winding down, gardens are producing and people are trying to figure out new ways to use it all! Well, I have a quick, simple, and really yummy dish that is perfect for last minute get togethers, and it was featured in Taste of Homes Cooking for 2 Magazine (even though we have a family of 4..haha). 
When I found out my recipe was in a magazine, I was tickled pink....I was so excited. I mean how often has this happened to me? NEVER!!! I still have the magazine and this was in 2007!
As the article note said, I had received a call from a friend wanting to come over for lunch. At the time (over 15 years ago) we lived on the same property as our church (the church has since built a new building and relocated), but I had a large garden there and loved it. So knowing I only had about 45 minutes till she got there I did a quick inventory to see what I had, remembered a recipe my mom had and ran to the garden to make a quick salad.
We called it a Summer Bean Salad and what were the basic ingredients?
  • fresh green beans
  • hard-boiled eggs, (one or two), chopped, quartered or sliced
  • chopped red onion (optional)
  • Plum tomatoes, quartered
  • Italian or Balsamic Salad Dressing (store bought, or make your own) 
 The amounts of the ingredients will vary according to how many people you are serving. You just eye ball it.

How to assemble:
  •  boil or steam your beans till crisp tender, you don't want them to turn to mush.drain and immediately place in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
  • In a serving bowl, combine the beans, tomato, egg and onion, drizzle with dressing and toss to coat! You can also add some toasted sliced almonds for a little added crunch if you want. Maybe even some goats cheese! 



 

Wah-lah! It's done and ready to eat. It's fresh tasting, easy and your guests will love it!!! Gee, makes me wish I had a garden. You can play with the ingredients as well. Bacon would go amazing with this as would some cheese crumbles.





With Joy UNquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Sounds wonderful! I will definitely give it a try .... with red onion and Italian dressing as part of the ingredients I know it must be good! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing!

    Love,
    Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations

    http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com

    Stop by any time! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delicious! I know what I'm making for lunch today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your recipe sounds so fresh and delicious - no wonder Taste of Home published it! I really love the sound of it. Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts