Jello-Playdough = FUN!

 A few weeks ago Nan was babysitting here at our house. These little cutie pies are brothers, ages 2 & 3 1/2. Everytime they come to our house they ask two things.."Tirstin (that's what they call me) tan I play wif your phone...." and "tan we makt a boltano"....did you interpret that? I just love the way little ones talk. They love making volcanos with Nan, using vinegar, baking soda and food coloring. Of course they usually end up using ALL of my vinegar, ALL of my baking soda, and I no longer have ANY food coloring. I jokingly told Nan she needs to buy her own supplies.

Seeing as I didn't have all the ingredients for their usual "FuN" I thought I'd see what else I could find. I remembered making homemade playdough with my girls when they were little. Only one problem....remember the previous volcano making adventures? Yep, NO food coloring! I got online and found several awesome sounding recipes. This one used jello to color the playdough. PERFECT!!


Nan and the boys had a blast! She's such a good babysitter. I'm so proud of how well she does and how much she really loves those she cares for. She lovingly talked them through the steps, making sure they took turns. When I was in Jr. High and High School that was how I made money. I babysat...A LOT! And I really loved it. It was flexible, I made decent money and I still got to have a life!
Jell-O Playdough


Ingredients:

1 cup flour
• 1 cup water
• ½ cup salt
• 2 to 3 tsp cream of tartar
• 1 3 1/2oz package Jello mix
• 1 Tbsp cooking oil

Instructions:
Mix the dry ingredients together in a medium saucepan. Slowly add the water mixed with oil and stir over medium heat until mixture resembles mashed potatoes. Let cool a few minutes and then knead until smooth.

The addition of cream of tartar makes the playdough last longer. You can find cream of tartar in the baking supplies aisle at your grocery store. This playdough, if stored in an airtight container in the fridge will last months (up to 6 months ).
 What a fun and easy activity. Depending on age, kids can help through all the stages of this.

With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts