An Impromptu Dinner Guest Brings Dessert

 Im*promp*tu = something or someone that was not planned, organized or rehearsed!
There are times when hubby calls at the last minute and says he's invited someone over for dinner. Not as often as he used to (because honestly when I make dinner, I make enough for those I "know" will be eating and I used to stress about these impromptu invites). More often than not he'll ask first to make sure I have enough and he usually calls plenty early, rather than when he walks through the door and says "so and so is eating with us".

Tuesday I sent him a text letting him know what I was making but that it wouldn't be until 7:30 because I had to pick up Kat at 6 from soccer and there was a parent meeting and then uniform handouts. Of course he wouldn't be home till 7:00 from Nan's practice. Shortly after that text, I received one back saying "Danny is coming for dinner". Then a few texts later...."he's bringing cinnamon rolls"! That made me happy!
Danny is a great friend of ours and he makes yummy cinnamon rolls. I had been teasing him on his Facebook that he keeps making them, but I hadn't had any in a long time, so when he said he was bringing some over I was more than thrilled.

Usually our "impromptu" guests are great at calling and asking if they can grab something at the store to bring. Sometimes I say yes, asking them to bring juice, popsicles, or my favorite...ROLLS!!!  Sometimes I say no. It just depends. 

When Danny showed up at our house, he had the cinnamon roll dough made (in the bowl after the first rising), and finished them up in my kitchen. Now that's the way to enjoy cinnamon rolls. My girls had fun watching him, video taping him, photographing him and teasing him. He is a complete ham and we all love him. It was a totally enjoyable evening. While he wasn't planning on eating dinner, he just couldn't say no!
I told you he was a ham!
Last night, we had another impromptu guest who often frequents our home regularly. He came up to play a game of Settlers of Catan (he's another great one for offering to bring things). This time I just served everyone some popcorn. I'm learning that impromptu is fine, even though I still like some advanced planning!

Some women may stress about impromptu guests, but trust me, it's just not worth it. Usually they know they're "impromptu", and therefore probably don't expect much. Do what you can with what you've got and if you're blessed to have them offer to bring something, take them up on it.

When's the last time you had impromptu guests and what did you serve them?



With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts