Tasty Tuesday: Special Banana Nut Bread

While I tend to lean more on the side of "healthy" cooking in our house (though I'm sure not as healthy as others), I'm not opposed to that occasional recipe that is just a "killer" of the term "healthy". You know, Fettucini Alfredo, Clam Chowder.....Honestly, I feel like I'm less likely to gorge on something, if I allow myself the freedom to eat those things in moderation.

The other day I had four bananas that really were over done and I felt like making banana bread. I opened my Taste of Home Cookbook and came across a recipe for Special Banana Nut Bread, and it called for FOUR bananas. SCORE!! It also contained a package of Cream cheese (I've been wondering how it would taste with the vegan version of cream cheese). I made it, it was yummy, and I don't want to think of the calories or fat that is in it.
 So please go make this so I don't feel bad.
 Bread:
3/4 c. butter, softened
1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, softened
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. chopped pecans, divided (I used walnuts but just threw them in the batter)


Orange Glaze: (I didn't do this)
1 c. confectioners sugar
3 tbs. orange juice
1 tsp. grated orange peel
1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture. Fold in 1 c. pecans.


2. Transfer to two greased 8-in x 4-in x 2-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake at 350 for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.


3. In small bowl, whisk glaze ingredients and drizzle over loaves. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely
I'm linking this to Tasty Tuesday hosted by Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.



With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. I love banana bread. Such a great way to use those leftover bananas. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am enjoying my visit here!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts