Pizza on the Grill

Yesterday Kat and I were driving in town and drove past a pizza shop. She said "I really want pizza". To which I replied "I can do pizza on the grill tonight". To which she got very excited.

They had soccer practice so I didn't need to have it ready till 8:30ish. The tricky thing with grilling pizza is that it cooks really fast and has to be watched, but the final result is totally worth it. I timed it pretty well!
Here is the recipe I used for the dough: 3 c. all purpose flour (the original recipe called for 2 c. regular and 1 c. semolina, but I didn't have that), 1 1/4 c. warm water, 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp yeast, 2 tsp. olive oil. I did mine in the bread machine.
I made my homemade BBQ sauce and also some homemade pizza sauce (tomato sauce, crushed garlic and Italian seasoning). Nan wanted pepperoni, chicken, reg. sauce and cheese. Hubby wanted everything (I did half BBQ sauce, 1/2 pizza sauce), Kat wanted all BBQ sauce and I added chicken, peppers, cheese and avocado. I did mine half and half as well. 


I still haven't gotten brave enough to do the pizza directly on the grill, but it still turns out great. 


Here's what I do. Because they cook very fast, I try to make sure my toppings are warm (some people recommend keeping toppings to a minimum), I warmed the sauces, grilled the chicken right before I started the pizza's, and slightly sauteed the mushrooms and peppers. I used fresh mozzarella and sliced it thin enough to melt before the bottoms burned.
Pre-heat your grill. If you are going to cook directly on the grill make sure you brush your grill generously with olive oil to keep the dough from sticking. I place foil on the grill and brush it with olive oil. When warm enough, lay your dough onto the hot grill and cook until the bottom starts to brown (you can usually tell it's ready when it begins to move freely on the grill or when small bubbles appear). Flip the dough over and promptly and quickly begin adding your toppings. Close the grill and let cook till cheese is melted, but watch closely. I let it cook for a bit and then turned my grill off. 
My family wasn't quite home yet so I took them off the grill and put them in my warm oven. They turned out perfectly. A few "overdone" spots on the crust, but not too bad. Here's my post from a few summers ago when I tried it for the first time.
  Personalized pizza's for everyone!! Yummy! Perfect serving size.
 
I'm linking this post to Tasty Tuesday, because it is so good I just had to share. Head over for more recipes.

With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Yummy! Now my mouth is watering! We made those a few weeks ago and used NAAN dough with garlic in it. I am going to have to remember to put it on the menu for next Friday night! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I was going to have homemade pizza tomorrow night! Now I will def. be grilling it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried to grill pizza - how super fun and delicious looking. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts