Hand Me Down Recipe & Kids in the Kitchen

 I love recipes that I've received from others and made over the years. One of my favorite GO-TO Salads that I make very regularly is one that I have had for over 20 years. It was given to me by a childhood friend after we had graduated and I still have it written on it's original recipe card. It's a recipe card with a goose in the corner because I went through a phase of collecting geese.


Whenever I take out the recipe, I'm reminded of her friendship, old memories and how our lives were made richer because of our friendship. She now lives in California and I hope to visit her sometime soon!


This recipe I'm sure has a variety of names, but she called it Fumi Salad, so that's what I call it too!


I also love getting my girls in the kitchen. Nan helped me on Monday make the goodies for the BBQ we were attending and she had fun helping with this salad. I look for ways to make it fun and I try to set aside my expectations so that I don't scare them out of the kitchen.



Fumi Salad
1 head cabbage, chopped
6-8 green onion stalks, chopped
2 pkgs. uncooked top ramen (chicken flavored), broken up
1 c. slivered almonds
1/2 c. sesame seeds
1/4  c. butter
DRESSING:
1 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. vinegar
1 tsp. accent (or salt)
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. pepper

 1. In a pan, melt the butter, then add sesame seeds and slivered almonds. Cook until lightly browned. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. Chop cabbage into small pieces. Add to a large bowl. Chop green onion and add as well. 
3. Crush ramen noodles, add to bowl.
4. Once cooled, add almonds and seeds to salad. 
5. Mix dressing ingredients and pour over salad, stirring to combine. Chill until ready to serve. If you want, you could add the seasoning packets from the ramen to the dressing mix. Sometimes I do this, sometimes I don't. 


I'm linking this recipe to Tasty Tuesday.


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. I would much rather get a recipe from a friend than a cookbook! You have the memory and a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to add sesame seeds. Will have to try that! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. have always called this asian slaw - like you name though! *Blessings* LIB
    http://bit.ly/9edC3E

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks like a fun dish :-) - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts