Home is.......A Family Heirloom

 As I sat here thinking of the word heirloom I thought about a song that came off a CD I had years ago. I can't remember the words but I do remember it talked about heirlooms, things passed down from generations. 
I sat here trying to think of what, if any, heirlooms I had from Great Grandparents and beyond. I don't think I have many. We moved to the West Coast when I was young and after my Great Grandparents passed away I don't think we had anything passed down which is a bit sad since I love old things.
After my mom passed away I did end up with a few things that are special to me and I hope will be special to my girls someday as well. I also have many of her hand written recipes that I'll keep and pass along, as well as some old family photos (which I love).


My mom purchased this old secretaries desk years ago at an antique store and it was always my favorite. I love the etched designs carved into the wood. I love the glass panes and the book shelves on either side. I love how it opens up with little nooks and crannies.
We store our board games in the bottom and card games in the drawer.
The other thing I ended up with was a box of doilies that had been crocheted by my great grandma, some were never finished, but they are all beautiful. One day I'll find something creative to do with them.
I love family heirlooms and things that evoke a memory, a smile, laughter. I'm linking this post to Home Is.... Hosted by Sandy at Reluctant Entertainer. Head over and join her.

With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Love those beautiful doilies, especially the one on the right that looks like a flower. Those would be neat framed! I'm visiting from Sandy's party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Amanda. I had thought of putting them in a frame, or in matted frame with multiple boxes...The flowered ones are my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love secretary desks! We got my husband's grandmother's when she died and just have to get stationed close enough to pick it up. I can't wait to use it. I have a doily from my grandma and I am going to have it framed to hang in the guest room where we have the wedding photos of our grandparents displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am wondering if the song you are thinking of is "Heirlooms" by Amy Grant?

    The desk is beautiful. How special that it was your mothers. And the doilies are a treasure too.

    I agree that framing them would be beautiful.

    How neat that you have family recipes passing down as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, love that desk! What a treasure, and to know it was from your Mom! :) Thanks for linking up at RE today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some delightful things there. That desk is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that secretary! It's beautiful. I have doilies like that too that wree made by Hubby's grandmother. I don't know what to do with mine either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts