Cooking Thursday: Chicken and Vegetable Tacos

I'm re-posting this recipe from a few years ago because it is one of our favorites and I wanted to add it to Sandra's Cooking Thursday posts. So....on to the recipe. I love tacos, as does our family, but sometimes it's nice for a lighter, healthier version and we all like this one! At first I was afraid to try it. I just wasn't sure how it would go over with everyone. I shouldn't have worried....they loved it. Don't be afraid to be creative in the quest for healthier eating.
Chicken and Vegetable Tacos
4 Tbs. olive oil
1 small onion diced
1 c. sliced mushrooms
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 plum/roma tomatoes
2 medium zuchinni (I used 1 zuchinni and 1 yellow squash)
1 c. whole kernal corn, drained
2 Tbs. fresh chopped cilantro
1/4 c. heavy cream
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Heat 2 tbs of oil in skillet. Add onion and cook until translucent. Stir in mushrooms & garlic. Cook about 2 minutes. Chop tomatoes. Add to skillet with zucchini,corn, squash, cilantro, cream, salt, pepper (about 1/2 tsp.). Cook until zucchini is tender crisp, stirring frequently. Chop chicken into small bite size pieces. Season with chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Cook in separate skillet in remaining oil. Cook until no longer pink. Fill taco shells. Top with any other ingredients. Cheese, chopped lettuce, sour cream...whatever you want.
I left the chicken and veggies separate just in case someone didn't want all the veggies.
The recipe didn't call for yellow squash, but I thought I'd use it. It was so good. A tip for your hard shells. Preheat an oven to 300 degrees. Place your hard shells on the rack for about 5 minutes or so until they are hot. They'll be nice and crisp.
The original recipe only called for chili powder, but at last minute I decided to add the other spices that I included above.
Ready to go!
I love the look and colors of fresh chopped veggies.
Bite size pieces of chicken make it much easier to fit in the shells. You could also shred it.
Oh Yum!! I could eat this all by itself!
How fresh and pretty! This could also be serve atop lettuce or as a topping for some grilled salmon .
The end result. Yum-O. Now put it on your menu to try. I used some bag salad that I just chopped up finer. It was great because it added some carrot and cabbage to the mix.
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Oh those look good. We are having tacos tonight and I may just whip up some of the chicken and veggies so my boys can have a choice (I know which one I'll choose!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these look delicious, thank you for sharing, and I love the first pic of the veggies in the sunlight :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts