Recipe: Cream of Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

Yesterday I decided that I just didn't want to eat leftover turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner. Plus, everyone had eaten the mashed potatoes and gravy (Nan's favorite food). So, using a recipe I found in the Eating Well Magazine (and on their site) I made a Cream of Turkey and wild Rice Soup. What I like about this magazine is it often takes the comfort foods we love and makes them a bit more healthy. This is where I found the recipe for the "re-done" green bean casserole, which I'll post later. 
This soup was so yummy! I did a few things different. I did not have "instant" or "quick cooking" wild rice so I just started a bit early and cooked up some wild rice ahead of time (it takes about 40-50 minutes). Then set it aside. I also added one chicken bouillon cube for a bit more flavor.  Other than that I followed the recipe and it was a winner.
Cream of Turkey & Wild Rice Soup
1 Tbs. extra-virgin Olive Oil
2 c. sliced mushrooms
3/4 c. chopped celery
1/4 c. chopped shallots (I just used onion)
1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 c. reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 c. quick-cooking or instant wild rice
3 c. shredded or chopped cooked turkey
1/2 c. reduced fat sour cream
2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery, carrots and shallots and cook, stirring until softened, about  minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes more.
2. Add broth and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Add rice and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until the rice is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in turkey, sour cream and parsley and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
I served it with homemade oatmeal rolls and salad. I'm still learning the ropes of my stove and microwave. The stove heats up so much quicker I have to really watch it. But everything has come out great! I'm so pleased with it.
LIFE UPDATE
Now go make some yummy soup and curl up with a good movie tonight. Oh, I also have pulled out my air popper (for popcorn). I've decided that we are going to make our own popcorn from now on. I also purchased some brown paper lunch sacks so the girls can make their own microwave popcorn. It's just healthier for us all around and really...more fun!
We've been watching lots of movies, playing the wii and our favorite card game (hand and foot). Last night Nan beat us all at cards and loved every minute of it. It is nice having the freedom of being in our own home. The girls said they love it because they can be as loud as they want. Yesterday Nan and her friend sat in a sleeping bag at the top of the stairs with pillowcases over their heads and slid down (12 stairs) laughing and giggling the whole time. Hubby and I put up Christmas lights outside. That was a bit scary as our peaks are so steep. We have one more section to do before I post pictures. I am also planning a post on the journey of getting into this house with pictures from start to finish. I'll have to figure out how to do it as a slide show.
Hubby went to Seattle today with a friend to see Georgian Bannoff (spelling?). Kat is going to a friends house (she planned a special day/night for their small group leader...they are treating her to a pedicure, doing her hair, just pampering her and then they've saved money to send her and her hubby to the Portland City Grill for dinner and they are also watching their 10 month old baby for the night (with her friends moms supervision)...all night till tomorrow morning). They planned it all and saved for it all themselves. Nan I believe is going to go play at a friends for the day, so....gasp...I'll have the house to myself...yippee!!! Okay....I didn't get the afternoon to myself. Nan's friend ended up needing to come here instead....sigh...oh, well! I still have quite a bit to do before my Pampered Chef Party on Monday, so that will give me time to do it.
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. That recipe looks outstanding! I'll have to try it.

    I love this time of year w/ friends and family. We are going to be hanging out today and putting up Christmas decor and making cookies. YUM!

    I'm glad you survived yesterday. :) My friend and I did fairly well. I love a good sale and with Walmart matching ad sales of competitors? Can't go wrong!

    Thank you again for thinking of me for your PC party....next time you do one, keep me in mind. I'm usually not this busy. ~J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished the soup and it was delicious! I used 3 cups chicken broth and 1 cup whipping cream because I think my hips should be much wider, apparently:)

    Thanks for the recipe. I've now officially used all the leftover Thanksgiving turkey. Well, the white meat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts