Kitchen Tip Tuesday: Vacumn packing with a straw

On Saturday our neighbors gave me a lot of green beans and corn, and my mother in law and another friend gave me some tomatoes. None of it was enough to can so I just figured I'd freeze it. The tomatoes I cooked down with some seasonings and put them in two jars. After looking online I found this site...pick your own They had great tips for preserving all sorts of things. So this tip came from them. After blanching and cooling your veggie place them in a freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible and then seal most of the way. Insert a straw into the bag (leaving only space around the straw, make sure the rest is closed. Simply suck out the air until the bag tightens slightly around the veggies. Remove straw and seal quickly. It worked great. We'll see how well it stores the corn and beans. With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Yes the straw works, I learned the trick from my mom!! I do this all the time for veggies or baked goods or cooked meat, however, I will NOT do it when I am doing up raw meat packs for the freezer! There is just something about sucking in the air that has been contaminated with raw meat! :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the straw works, I learned the trick from my mom!! I do this all the time for veggies or baked goods or cooked meat, however, I will NOT do it when I am doing up raw meat packs for the freezer! There is just something about sucking in the air that has been contaminated with raw meat! :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to try that trick. THank you for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using that same trick for a few months now. It works great for me. Hope it works as well for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts