Kitchen Tip Tuesday: Crispy No Fry Food

I admit, I love fried food: fried chicken, french fries, chimichangas. Yet, in the ever increasing effort to eat healthy and take better care of our bodies, we just rarely eat fried food. I say rarely because yes, at times we go out and might order fries at Red Robin, or a chimichanga from our fave restaurant, or someone might bring fried chicken to a potluck. But at home, we do not fry food. Yesterday I was visiting Jasmine at Deliciously Dangerous Recipes and she had a post that brought up chimichangas. That sparked the idea for this weeks kitchen tip tuesday tip. How to make a normally "fried" food crispy without the "frying" part. Let's take chimichangas since they are one of my favorites. After I have filled them I fold in both side and then roll them up continuing to tuck in the sides as I go. I then secure them with toothpicks if necessary. Place them on a pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray (I use olive oil spray), then spray entire chimichanga with spray (or you could brush lightly with olive oil). Place in a 450-500 degree oven. Watch carefully so they don't burn. Cook until outside of chimichangas are nicely browned. Wah lah! Crispy without the grease! I do the same with homemade french fries and sometimes breaded chicken. REVISION: I wanted to add...I also make bowls for my taco salads in the oven as well. My mom used to make them in her Fry Daddy and I love them. I wad up several large pieces of tin foil (I know they probably make gadgets for this, but I haven't gotten one, and I know you can do it in the micro over a bowl but I haven't tried that either). Then I place a flour tortilla over the bowl and spray it with cooking spray. Bake again on high heat till lightly browned. Flip over, spray the inside and brown some more. Later I'm hoping to post a recipe for some wonderful cookies we made on Saturday. Oh, and for whatever reason...my spell check option is not working so if you notice a typo...sorry!
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Hi! I love your signature!

    Thanks for that great tip! I love fried food too, so this is so very helpful in our household. I often crisp things up in olive oil-- is this bad for me like regular frying? Or is it ok because it's olive oil?
    Thanks!
    denaye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip! I do that when making quesadillas.

    Matter of fact, tonight on my menu is oven fried chicken!! Yummy! If you would like the recipe...check #5 here...http://glimpseofsonshine.blogspot.com/2007/08/eight-ways-to-fix-chicken.html

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonshine...I'm going to check your site because I love fried chicken, especially with mashed potatoes.


    Denaye,
    I'm not sure. I think that either using canola or Olive oil is the best options if you are going to fry something. Those are the only two "oils" I use. I've heard about some others, but they are more spendy. I also use olive oil in my baking as well. I'm on a learning journey of healthier eating and definately don't have it down yet. When I stirfry or sautee things I use sesame oil, or olive oil, and sometimes add a teeny bit of butter to the olive oil to add the butter taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, I looked at your little "aboutme" after commenting-- I am in Washington too-- wenatchee :-)
    denaye

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips. I am really trying to spread my wings when it come to cooking! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. D--we live in SW washington. I've been to Wenatchee a few times. I grew up in North Bend.

    New trick mommy...this is an easy meal (chimichangas) The filling I use is shredded cooked chicken, cumin and salsa mixed together, then topped with shredded cheese). I serve it with refried beans, spanish rice and an assortment of toppings: lettuce, tomatoes, avacado, sour cream, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have done this to make taco bowls for years. They are terrific! You can also use cleaned out cans from canned veggies or such. YUMMY!
    I enjoyed finding your site. I use to live in the Pacific Northwest, Oregon and miss it very much.
    I also love some of the same sites as you Rachel Ray and Baby Blues.
    Blessings,
    Debbie aka The Real World Martha(S)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanx so much for the mention. I am glad I inspired you! I have sprayed my stromboli before instead of adding the oil and it turns out very good. I was being a bit bad that night and had poured too much so really smeared them good in the olive oil(the chimichangas).

    I have bought the olive oil spray before at Smart N Final. I try to do things with a healthy bent around here too. You need to post pictures of the taquitos soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts