Kitchen Tip Tuesday: Preparing young cooks

I run across so many young ladies who do not know how to cook. They can't even boil water. They're content eating top ramen and canned soup. Not my girls. I want them to develop a love for cooking, baking and being in the kitchen. I often have them help me prepare meals or bake something. I know sometimes it'd be easier to just do it myself, and there are times when I'm in a hurry that I just do it. But, if they ask I try not to discourage it. If they see a cookbook they like, we try to buy it. For my oldest daughter a friend put together a binder cookbook and placed various recipes in it. I hope to make a binder style notebook cookbook for each girl throughout the years, that I can add favorite recipes and when they graduate pass it on to them. In the notebook, separate it with categories, a tip section, maybe even a "story" section of funny escapades in the kitchen as they grew up. With each typed recipe, put a little note with special tips, why you like it, etc.. When my girls leave our home, I want them to feel totally comfortable in a kitchen. Oh, and this goes for boys too...no reason they can't learn to cook and love the kitchen.

Comments

  1. I love this! I feel the same way, 'though my girls are little right now. I already try to let them help me in the kitchen when possible. Beautful blog!

    Amy @ http://hopeistheword.wordpress.com/2007/12/18/kitchen-tip-tuesday-salt-dough-ornaments/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! One thing I was very blessed by was a mom who taught me how to cook at a very young age. I made my first meal for my family, almost completely by myself (my mom put the food in and took it out of the oven for me and that was about it) when I was six! But now I can cook just about anything. I'm currently having my 3 year old son help in the kitchen whenever he feels like it. I want my boys to know how to cook too, it's a valuable life skill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful. I am trying to do the same with my girls. No matter what God calls them to do in life - they will always need to know how to fix meals.

    Blessings,
    ~Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you and I am teaching my girls to cook also.I am also teaching them how to eat well from scratch (a dying art!) and how to avoid food additives, etc. to stay healthy.

    Love your blog!

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have always tried to eat well, but in the last few years have really tried to cut down on the amount of processed foods we consume, cutting out the partially hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, enriched flours...so we've also been learning how to read labels and cook things in ways that are healthier. My oldest daughter who is 12 has really caught onto this. We're not perfect at it, but we do try our best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so agree! I want my kids to be comfy in the kitchen too :) And to Kirstin, I think I was about that age when I finally "got" why my mom did strange things like buy "date sugar" and brewer's yeast and organic produce. I think I am more of a health nut than she is now! And I really appreciated all she taught me, but also that she cared enough about us to feed us healthily. :) I think it's such a great example for young ladies in particular for their mothers to regard the culinary arts with great seriousness :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts